Like a Republican Needs a Bicycle: Conservative Cyclists Break the Stereotypes of Bike Politics

10/14/2008 3:30:55 PM

Tags: Politics, political parties, conservatives, liberals, bicycling, sustainable living, environment, biking, bikes, Critical Mass, bike commuting, Election 2008, Minneapolis, Twin Cities, Minnesota, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Mitch Berg, Jason Lewis, Katherine Kersten, media, newspapers, blogs, infrastructure, Colorado, Republican National Convention, RNC

bikes leftA wiry thirtysomething guy bikes out of the Whole Foods parking lot, a pannier of organic produce strapped to his rack. He’s on his way home to make dinner after a couple of hours volunteering at the local Obama campaign headquarters. He inches down the driveway, waiting for an opportunity to turn right into the busy rush-hour traffic.

He sees an opening and jumps into the lane, pedaling quickly. But he’s not moving fast enough for a hulking SUV whose impatient driver doesn’t want to change lanes. She tailgates him for several yards, laying on the horn, then swerves into the other lane and tears past him, yelling something about getting on the sidewalk. The cyclist gives her a one-fingered salute, then notices a McCain-Palin sticker on her bumper.

Typical.

We are all guilty of certain prejudices. In the escalating (and increasingly dangerous) tensions between car commuters and bicycle riders, battle lines are drawn. As an avid cyclist leaning fairly hard to port, I had very little reason to interrogate the stereotypes embodied in the scenario above. But eventually a few needling questions penetrated my insulated sphere of thought: What if there are conservatives who ride bikes? What the hell do they look like? And where can I find them?

On the Internet, of course.

“I am a gun-owning, low-taxes, small-government, strong military, anti-baby murder, pro-big/small business, anti-social program, conservative Democrat,” wrote Maddyfish, a poster on Bike Forums, an Internet discussion forum where everyone from the casual hobbyist to the obsessive gearhead can discuss all things bike-related, from frame sizes to the best routes downtown. There are dozens such forums for bicyclists and I recently crashed three of them—Bike Forums, MPLS BikeLove, and Road Bike Review—with a simple question: Are there any conservative cyclists out there? Maddyfish (an online pseudonym) was one of the first to reply: “I find cycling to be a very conservative activity. It saves me money and time.”

And just like that, biking conservatives came out of the cyber-woodwork, offering their own mixtures of bike love and political philosophy. “I do not care about gas prices or the environment. I care about fun and getting where I am quickly,” wrote Old Scratch. “I’m a Libertarian,” wrote Charly17201. “I am extremely conservative, but definitely NOT a GOPer. … I ride my bike because it provides me the opportunity to save even more money for my pleasures now and my retirement in the future (and my retirement fund is NOT the responsibility of the government).”

The more liberal bikers in the forums repeated some variation of this formulation: “Drive to the ride = conservative; bike to the ride = liberal.” In other words, conservatives load bikes onto SUVs and drive them to a riding trail, while liberals incorporate their bikes into every aspect of their personal transportation, whether utilitarian or recreational. For moneyed conservatives with a large portion of their income budgeted for recreation, high-end bikes and gear have taken their place along golf as a rich man’s leisure activity.

But there are conservatives who integrate bikes into their lifestyle just as thoroughly as their liberal counterparts. Mitch Berg is a conservative talk-radio host whose blog, A Shot in the Dark, is divided between political content and chronicles if his experiences commuting by bicycle. “I grew up in rural North Dakota, and biking was one of my escapes when I was in high school and college,” he told me. “It’s my favorite way to try to stay in shape. And if gas fell to 25 cents a gallon, I’d still bike every day.”

Berg doesn’t believe there’s anything inherently political about riding a bike. “But people on both sides of the political aisle do ascribe political significance to biking. The lifestyle-statement bikers, of course, see the act as a political and social statement. And there’s a certain strain of conservatism that sees conspicuous consumption—driving an SUV and chortling at paying more for gas—as a way to poke a finger in the eyes of the environmental left.”

The impression that bikers are liberal is reinforced, Berg feels, by the most vocal and political members of bike culture. These are the folks who corner the media's spotlight (and draw drivers' resentment) with high-profile events like Critical Mass, a group ride that floods downtown streets in many cities at the end of each month as riders zealously reassert their rights to the paths normally traveled by cars. Similarly, when the price of gas climbed to $4 over the summer, the media couldn’t run enough stories about the unprecedented popularity of bike commuting. Activist bikers leveraged the newfound media attention to promote certain messages: that bicycling is an inherently political activity; that cyclists care about traditionally progressive causes like environmental protection; that more tax money should be allocated for bike paths and a transportation infrastructure that takes vehicles other than cars into account.

“The faction of bikers that is fundamentally political has done a good job of tying [bikes and politics] together,” Berg says. “The Green Party has wrapped itself around the bicycle.” But for many, biking is political because everything is political: “You need a public infrastructure to [bike],” wrote Cyclezealot, on Bike Forums. “So, cycling will always be affected by politics, like it or not.”

When politics does bleed into cycling, does it create tensions? I asked Berg if he ever feels outnumbered on group rides dominated by liberals, and if those differences ever come to the fore. “Of course,” he replied, “On several levels. I’m a conservative. I don’t believe in man-made global warming. I’m biking for reasons that are partly personal and partly capitalistic; I don’t want to pay $4 for gas.” But he has made liberal friends based on a common love of cycling. So has William Bain, a retired Naval officer living in the Pacific Northwest whose bike commute is a 43-mile round trip. “Cycling is the common bond I have with my liberal friends,” said Bain. “We can get in a heated passionate argument about politics and then go out and try to ride each other into the ground. Good clean fun.”

Berg and Bain have allies in the government who see bicycle advocacy as a nonpartisan issue. Take Republican Greg Brophy, a Colorado state senator and an avid cyclist who competes in road bike marathons and uses his mountain bike to haul farm equipment. Brophy worked with Bicycle Colorado to pass Safe Routes to School and is supporting a “Green Lanes” bill to give bicyclists safer routes through metro areas.

Conservative cyclists don’t tend to get help from all their political allies, however. Some right-wing personalities know that biking is a hot-button issue and make pointed attacks on cyclists while reinforcing the liberal-cyclist stereotype. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s hard-right columnist Katherine Kersten earned the ire of the Twin Cities bike community in 2007 when she characterized Critical Mass as a mob of “serial lawbreakers” bent on ruining the lives of honorable citizen motorists. “Are you rushing to catch the last few innings of your son's baseball game? Trying to get to the show you promised your wife for her birthday? Critical Mass doesn't give a rip.”

Last fall, Twin Cities talk-radio host Jason Lewis made on-air remarks decrying the “bicycling crowd” as “just another liberal advocacy group.” He recycled a common anti-bike canard—that bicyclists have no rights to the roads because they don’t pay taxes to service those roads—before issuing a call to arms: “The people with the 2,000-pound vehicle need to start fighting back.” Lewis’ comments seem especially reckless in light of recent events: In September alone, four Twin Cities cyclists were killed in collisions with motor vehicles. One conservative blogger celebrates bike fatalities and gleefully anticipates more. “Keep it up,” he tells cyclists, “and the law of averages says we’ll have a few less Obama voters in November.”

While such critics tap into right-wing rage at all things liberal, conservative bikers appeal to a saner tenet of their political tradition: the free market's invisible hand. “Let the market roam free,” Berg exclaimed. “The higher gas goes, the more people will try biking.” And where there’s money to be made, bikes and bike-share programs will emerge. When the Republican National Convention came to the Twin Cities in September, for example, a bike-share program was there to greet it. Humana and Bikes Belong made 1,000 bikes available for rental during the convention, with 70 bikes staying behind as part of a permanent rental program.

Conservatives on bikes represent the breakdown of party-line stereotypes. They are heartening examples of crucial divergences from the lazy red/blue dichotomy the pundits are relentlessly hammering in these last frenzied days of campaign season. They are a microcosm in which a stereotype falls away to reveal an actual individual. What's more, they represent not just the abandonment of tired clichés, but more bikes on the road—something all of us on two wheels, regardless of our political idiosyncrasies, can agree is a good thing.

Image by Kyknoord, licensed by Creative Commons.

Related Content

The Perils of Nude Protesting

Protesting in the nude certainly gets people’s attention, but do the spectators recognize the messag...

Why the Left Has No "Ethical Vocabulary"

What happened to the tradition of left-wing ethics?...

Anti-Social Bike, Car Drivers

With money getting tight across the country, people are dusting off their bicycles for a cheap alter...

Sex Shopping for the Conservative Set

Even if they’re not seedy dens of sin, sex stores often  neglect one set of potential customers: con...

Content Tools
RSS

Post a comment below.

JLBTECH
6/5/2009 11:27:47 AM
I am a proud libertarian. I hate nearly everything the socialist Democrats stand for. Hate that Obama is our president. Hate Pelosi period. I bike to work from home. I don't believe global warming is man made. I don't think the cost of gas even at $4 was an issue. I do hate DC traffic and paying $270/month to park my car. I do love the exercise, escape, and fun of biking to work and other places.

JLBTECH
6/5/2009 11:26:36 AM

bhammer
3/5/2009 10:45:53 PM
You needed to devote more space to Old Scratch from Bike Forums. Your article would not have been so boring and pedantic.

Gary Ashcraft
10/21/2008 5:25:51 PM
My handle is bikpedlr, I'm in my 60's and one of the biggest reasons I pedal ( beyond the pure joy ) is the fact my heart, body & soul are so grateful to me for it. I've been pedaling around Houston Tx since 1980, and seriously commuting by bike for the last 20 years. This is a true RED town, in a really RED state, and yet I find almost all drivers here pretty courtious. I feel it's not a political thing, I believe it's all about a Southern Lifestlye that has caused me to love this place. I am to fiscally conservative for my Democratic friends, and to issue Liberal for my Republican friends, I have little use for Libertarians, and I honestly don't see cycling as being a political issue beyond what sound bite artists can do to use it for polarizing people. Beyond my daily commuting I do a lot of fund and event rides ( MS-150, LiveStong, Hotter'n'Hell, Tour'd'Houston, Bluebonnet, etc. ), for the life of me I have never seen a rider with any kind of political or issue orriented material on themselves or their bikes, all I ever see are Jerseys, Shorts, and Bikes promoting Event's, Sponsors, & Products. Maybe all these folks are closet Capitalists and don't even know it?? Gary Ashcraft

Alfred Lord Tenniscourt
10/16/2008 4:18:42 PM
I am probably best described as a right wing nut job, and I ride my bike every chance I get. For me, riding has strong conservative values embedded in nearly all of it's aspects. I believe, for instance, that while life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness should be rights, our government has tried to make these things dependent on driving motor vehicles, which is a privilege. I believe in self reliance and despise laziness which are both utterly apparent qualities of cyclists. I believe that riding in an automobile is no different than accepting food stamps as the gasoline has been subsidized, the companies that make the cars have been subsidized, and the roads have been subsidized. This is particularly true of the interstate system which is partially paid for with our military budget. I also have great admiration for the pioneer spirit and liken myself to those great men as I hazard forth into herds of cud-chewing motorists, not unlike buffalo in their SUV's, that must be navigated by the sweat of my brow and the sharpness of my wits every day.

Jake Mohan
10/16/2008 3:37:22 PM
Bugmenotrules: Fair enough. I did use the terms "driver," "commuter" (whether car or bike), "rider," "biker" and "cyclist" more or less interchangeably in my article. In the sentence you cite, I used "rider" instead of "commuter" to avoid repetition. Isolated and taken on its own semantic merit, that sentence might appear to delegitimize bike commuters, but I would hope that its context and the rest of the article dispels any implication that cyclists are just "out loafing around." This article was primarily about how people across the political spectrum are advocating for bikes as a practical, legitimate form of transportation. In any event, thanks for reading and commenting!

bugmenotrules
10/16/2008 2:10:15 PM
"In the escalating (and increasingly dangerous) tensions between car commuters and bicycle riders, battle lines are drawn." As a bicycle commuter I take issue with referring to the cyclist in this sentence as a commuter as well. Does it infer that the car user is on the way to work while the cyclist is out loafing around? Kinda.

mmason1
10/16/2008 1:44:45 PM
I appreciate the extension of the olive branch to all those who wish to ride. Having started a Bike Commuting Group at work, I can tell you that focusing on safety is the main concern here. I also recently was in the hospital due to have been in an accident involving a pick-up truck. Nobody was "out to get me", they just didn't see me that early morning. That being said, infrastructure needs to be invested to make biking a more active part of our commuting culture in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/Saint Paul). That means dealing with the political system, and although this falls into a more liberal biased camp, work on all sides is necessary.

Dirtyspeed
10/16/2008 1:27:09 PM
I really have no idea what political affiliation the guy biking next to me is, and I really do not care. I have had just as many Obama sticker people half run me off the road as McCain sticker people.

Parepidemos
10/15/2008 12:55:10 PM
I'm what your mag once called a "crunchy conservative" and an avid bike commuter. Yep, we're out there, and those of us who love the bicycle lifestyle are trying to recruit other conservatives to join us. It would help if our liberal bike-brethren did not polarize the bicycle lifestyle quite so much. On the other hand, I totally understand-- when you have found something so wonderful and eminently sensible, it's natural to wrap it up in all the rest of your life, political spiritual familial etc. Anyway, I appreciate the welcome I receive from most of the liberal bike-commuters I meet online. Like permaculture, human-powered transportation really can be common ground between liberals and conservatives. Articles like this one are a great help. Grace and strength to you!

Michael Brown
10/15/2008 12:39:05 PM
Well said, Senator Smoot. Politicizing bicycles with a liberal brush (I know, a mixed metaphor) gets the same results as MoveOn for liberals. You end up preaching to the choir, with no converts. It sounds shrill, and no one wants to ride with such a group. My conservative riding partners are just part of the pack to me. The common bond of riding trumps all. Be careful what you wish for. As a 28 year cycling commuter, I have my hands full with educating newbies on the subtleties of cycling in traffic. It's really asking too much to worry about an SUV seeing me as a convenient target. (non-wiry, greenish, liberal non-Democrat)

Senator Smoot
10/14/2008 6:29:43 PM
Politicizing biking is the very worst thing you could to to promote cycling. Also the worst thing you could do for having fun, saving money, being green, or being a good neighbor. It leads to fractious interactions like Critical Ass and the ghastly blogger mentioned above. I really hate that kind of crap. Just cut it out. Join a group, learn safety, obsess about your gear, fill your lungs, see the countryside, and have fun. (wiry, greenish, liberal non-Liberal)

Pay Now & Save $5!
First Name: *
Last Name: *
Address: *
City: *
State/Province: *
Zip/Postal Code:*
Country:
Email:*
(* indicates a required item)
Canadian Subscribers - Click Here
Non US and Canadian Subscribers - Click Here

Want to gain a fresh perspective? Read stories that matter? Feel optimistic about the future? It's all here! Utne Reader offers provocative writing from diverse perspectives, insightful analysis of art and media, down-to-earth news and in-depth coverage of eye-opening issues that affect your life.

Save Even More Money By Paying NOW!

Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. You save an additional $5 and get 4 issues of Utne Reader for only $31.00 (USA only).

Or Bill Me Later and pay just $36 for 4 issues of Utne Reader!