FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
UTNE READER NAMES ANNUAL LIST OF VISIONARIES
Magazine honors those changing food systems, reclaiming democracy, using art as resistance and expanding community
TOPEKA, Kan. (Oct. 8, 2012) — Utne Reader, the best of the alternative press, names 12 people and organizations across various fields to its annual list of “People Who Are Changing the World.” The magazine profiles each visionary in its November-December issue, on newsstands Oct. 23.
Unlike previous years, this year’s list focuses on visionaries in these four categories:
The Radical Idea of Cooperation
- Marcin Jakubowski, Open Source Ecology founder and inventor; Maysville, Mo.
- No Papers No Fear, immigrant rights activist organization; southern United States
- Sanjit “Bunker” Roy, Barefoot College founder and grassroots educator; India and Africa
Giving a Voice to the Silenced
- Middle East Children’s Alliance, children’s rights activists and humanitarian organization; Berkeley, Calif.
- Dr. Mahir Saul, anthropologist using African cinema to debunk stereotypes; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- David Wish, Little Kids Rock founder and music education innovator; Cedar Grove, N.J.
Reclaiming the Public Square
- Anonymous, collective of hacktivists; worldwide
- Steve DeCaprio, squatters’ rights activist; Oakland, Calif.
- David Graeber, global justice advocate and Occupy Movement facilitator; London, England
You Are Where You Eat
- John Edel, founder of The Plant and vertical farming pioneer; Chicago
- Nance Klehm, ecologist using foraging walks to help urbanites find their place among their habitat; Chicago
- Michel Nischan, Wholesome Wave co-founder and food justice advocate linking local farmers with underserved populations; Bridgeport, Conn.
“These people and organizations continue to push the boundaries and make others think – and their models have proven successful so far,” says Christian Williams, Utne Reader’s editor in chief.
Online extras for each honoree will be available Oct. 16 at Utne.com/2012Visionaries.
About Utne Reader
Since 1984, Utne Reader (www.Utne.com) has been the vanguard of the alternative press, celebrating independent news and views from across the political spectrum. With ideas, trends and solutions you won’t see in the mainstream media for months or even years, those who want to know what’s happening next, read Utne Reader first.
About Ogden Publications Inc.
Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable living, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Mother Earth Living, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also produces environmentally friendly housewares through Natural Home Products LLC, and provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
# # #