This first installment of our new Wiser Living Video Series DVD features some of our most popular workshops, taught by leading experts on do-it-yourself, sustainable projects. From learning the basics of pickling vegetables to making your own all-natural household cleaners to extending your garden season with easy-to-build mini-greenhouses, the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Video Series features a broad spectrum of information. Recorded by professionals, each 10- to 20-minute workshop is brought to life through vivid imagery, crisp audio and step-by-step instructions that will guide you on your path to self-sufficiency.
Gardening and Backyard Chickens
- Poultry 101 – Hank Will
- Gardening With Chickens – Cheryl Long
- Cover Crops – Cheryl Long
- Season Extension – Cheryl Long
- Raised Bed Gardening – Cheryl Long
- Herbs for General Wellness, Herbs for Health Pt. 1 – Jessica Kellner
- No-Knead Bread – Karen Will
- Pickled Beets – Jennifer Kongs
- Chicken Stock From Scratch – Robin Mather
- Bread Made Easy – Karen Will
- Herbs for Skin Wellness, Herbs for Health Pt. 2 – Jessica Kellner
- Rendering Lard – Robin Mather
- Making Bacon – Robin Mather
- Fermentation and Sauerkraut – Jennifer Kongs
- Herbs for Mental Health, Herbs for Health Pt. 3 – Jessica Kellner
- DIY Household Cleaners – Jessica Kellner
- Medicinal Oils and Salves – Gina DeBacker
- Making Tinctures – Allison Martin
- Herbs for Nausea, Herbs for Health Pt. 4 – Jessica Kellner
About the talent:
As a writer, farmer and the Publisher and Editorial Director of MOTHER EARTH NEWS, Bryan Welch is well known for his optimism, sense of humor and his commitment to empowering people to live their own versions of the good life. His work demonstrates unequivocally that it’s possible to do well in business without destroying natural or human resources.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS Senior Associate Editor Robin Mather grew up in a rural village in Michigan, where her classmates at school were the sons and daughters of farmers. She frequently stayed with friends whose families ran farms, and loved everything about their lives — from bucking bales of straw and hay to bottle-feeding calves.
Cheryl Long is the Editor-in-Chief of MOTHER EARTH NEWS magazine and a leading advocate for more sustainable lifestyles. She lives on an 8-acre homestead near Topeka, Kan., that is powered in part by solar panels. There, she manages a large organic garden and a small flock of Welsummer chickens.
Hank Will, Editor-in-Chief of Grit
magazine, has been farming and selling farm products for almost 30 years and believes that demand for heritage breeds is poised to explode. His family’s seed company and nursery business inspired his academic career in genetics, while childhood experiences instilled a fascination with animal husbandry.
Mother Earth Living
Editor-in-Chief Jessica Kellner is enthusiastic about sharing the simple, commonsense ways we can connect with nature to better our health, homes and lives — including using herbal remedies to prevent or treat common ailments and cleaning our houses with affordable, natural ingredients.
Karen K. Will is editor of The Heirloom Gardener
magazine and operates Prairie Turnip Farm in Osage County, Kan., with her husband, Hank Will. She is a freelance writer, photographer and blogger, and the author of Cooking With Heirlooms: Seasonal Recipes With Heritage-Variety Vegetables and Fruits
Allison Martin is Managing Editor of Mother Earth Living
, and previously spent five years on staff at The Herb Companion magazine
, where she learned about plant medicine traditions. She lives in Lawrence, Kan., with her family, two bulldogs and cat.