Why Tea Partiers Would Not Like Ike

9/7/2010 11:24:21 AM

Tags: Tea Party, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Toby Barlow, taxes, Politics, Huffington Post, David Doody

I Like Ike Button

The 1950s might look like the golden years to some Tea Partiers.  It was back before the Kennedys, the Clintons, and Obama ruined this great country, always looking to tax the rich, ignoring the guiding principles of capitalism.  That view of the world ignores the actual history, argues author Toby Barlow in the Huffington Post.

Dwight D. Eisenhower, president from 1953 until 1961, passed the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956, a massive public works project that today would be the equivalent of $197 billion, reports Barlow.  Obama’s $50 billion infrastructure proposal clocks in at a fraction of the price.  And the Federal Aid Highway Act wasn’t paid for by some grand Republican—or Tea Party—plan that all at once lowered taxes and the deficit; it was paid for by a lot of new taxes.  The richest among the U.S. population during the tenure of that celebrated Army general were taxed a staggering 91 percent, compared to today’s 35 percent, and Barlow writes,

They still golfed, drove around in shiny automobiles, and ate caviar in fancy dining cars, but they paid a lot more back to society. Instead of fleeing en masse to Cuba they stayed in Connecticut and sent their kids to boarding schools and private colleges. America rewarded them by becoming a stronger nation, allowing the wealthy in turn to become even wealthier. America rocked.

We have been trained to believe that taxation is the worst ill that can strike a society, and yet for decades our nation prospered while asking those who profited from our strength to give significantly more. Ike understood this and protected our nation's prosperity.

Barlow suggests that we all start wearing “I like Ike” buttons again to show that there is a way to work together, a way beyond the hysterical rhetoric that now injects itself into most of our political debates.  And, Barlow suggests, we should start asking Tea Party candidates what they think about Ike.

(Side note: Barlow writes regularly for the Huffington Post and other places, but if you’re in the mood for a highly entertaining read, pick up his book Sharp Teeth.  Set in L.A., the book is about gangs of werewolves and is written completely in verse.  I know, it sounds crazy, but it’s great.)

Source: Huffington Post

Image by John Munsch, licensed under Creative Commons.

Related Content

Free Houses for Writers: The Rise of Detroit’s Literary Community

How one nonprofit organization plans to revitalize Detroit’s neighborhoods and literary presence.

When Grief Becomes a Mental Illness

The next edition of the DSM will drastically change our understanding and diagnosis of bereavement.....

UtneCast: The Global Water Crisis and How to Stop It

The documentary FLOW: For Love of Water explores the fight over who owns the world’s water. For this...

Tea Parties: Republican-Managed Tantrums

The American Conservative knows that the Tea Parties are nothing more than a Republican-managed tant...

Content Tools
RSS

Post a comment below.

Brianz
11/1/2010 5:59:48 PM
Obviously Ike was not a wimp nor an apologist for fortunate sons and their lifestyle. Hence, one paid taxes according to their earnings instead of passing the buck to the middle class and working poor. Tea partiers would not like Ike because it would displease their rich leaders slinking behind the party to keep them misinformed and dumbed down. Tea partiers have no sense of reality even if it bit them in the butt. They sort of enjoy the company of serving their oppressors that keep them beaten down.

Occum
9/15/2010 4:43:16 PM
Tom, I could not agree with you more. The 14th amendment allows corporations to have the best of all worlds. Down playing, side stepping or diverting attention away from this fact plays into your comment on the people not being aware. Why would you want the people to be aware? They might be incited to change things. Dennis Kucinich has espoused clarifying and adjusting this element for years. However, Mr. Kucinich has been portrayed as fringe player with unfound eccentric ideas. Hmmmmm.... Obama is supposedly killing small business (98% of employers to the people) with tax hikes so I hear. Could be true. So I have been asking small business friends to catch me up. So far no luck. If you can point me to code I will gladly investigate. Your point on the US interstates is right on. Most people don't know why the interstates were built. The Autobahn (as an FYI) was built by Hitler for the same reasons. So was the Volkswagen.

Occum
9/15/2010 4:42:55 PM

Tom
9/15/2010 8:05:43 AM
@occum Corporations being treated equal to citizens is, I believe, a core issue that is overlooked and of which America is ignorant (the people, not the folks in power, not the big money elite).

Tom
9/15/2010 8:02:15 AM
This is interesting, but again I just wish authors of such work would - I know, this is not likely in media - work with someone of opposing views. They can still make their point, but get input from the other side. Such work would make it... more measured, more correct, avoid errors and be more convincing (to me). For ex., he starts off citing federal highway funding, yet ignores the true name of the system Ike decided to support: what we call the interstate highways was the National Interstate and DEFENSE Highways. It was seen not just as a national improvement (ala Autobahns), but a matter of national defense to allow military rapid movement around country, and to support national defense manufacturing (this was Cold War after all). He makes reference to the comparison of spending with Obama, yet the majority of the complaints against Obama are NOT that he is spending money on real projects like highways, but that he is spending money on EVERYTHING, and most of it is PORK (buying projectors for a Chicago museum, etc.). Also, repairing a few roads is a far cry from building something that never existed. Tea Party is unseating REPUBLICANS now (witness last night's Delaware primary) because they are no different than big-spending Democrats. Enough! It's just not that hard to make a more balanced and reasoned article, while STILL driving home your point, but that's not going to happen, certainly not for partisan hacks.

Occum
9/9/2010 9:31:13 PM
Watch G.C.'s evolution from early on to later years. You will see what he espouses and learned to question. Compliant well meaning "go along to get along" vs. isn't the function of critical thinking (through comedy as his medium) one of rising to a higher level of development. We are called by a higher power, whether evolution or divinity (or both concurrently) to find a balance and treat each other with consideration and respect. For crying out loud even the "old" Mafia had an ethic to adhere to. I'm not sure the new one does.

rodeen
9/9/2010 1:27:56 PM
As you can imagine I can't stand G.C. but there is alot of truth in what he said. But since I dont see the revolution coming anytime soon I play the hand I am dealt. It is funny last weekend I was at a big ballgame. I was at a pretty well to do tailgate party and two high profile political adversaries were there just woopn it up together having a great time.

Occum
9/9/2010 12:32:05 PM
Rodeen, Microsoft and many other corporations pay tax accountants and consultants good money to make sure Bill's taxes won't change much. With respect to Bill Gates he contributes alot to many great causes. This is business as usual for politics. Everybody pointing fingers in different directions to keep people off balance so their team won't be blamed. Sound familiar? Didn't BP announce the findings of their investigation yesterday. How many folks were involved in that debacle? Healthcare???? No one still knows what is going on there. I am attaching a link to explain it all. Take care regarding who should watch it and I hope Utne lets me know if it isn't kosher. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI

rodeen
9/9/2010 10:52:51 AM
Ralph, Good News Bad news. Yesterday Obama called me wealthy I had no idea I was rich. Bad news, he said he was going to raise my taxes or as he puts it end my tax break. I thought it was just Bill Gates taxes going up?

Occum
9/8/2010 5:28:24 PM
Adding to my original post I recently watched a short video on the history of corporations. It was enlightening to say the least. Corporations are a relatively new component in our countries history. By relative I mean late 1800's (perhaps a few slightly earlier.) The original premise was to gather several money holders together to invest in establishing the needs to build better things for the people. Infrasture, technology (of the time), education etc. were many of the causes. They (the corporations) were held higly accountable and looked upon as a folks giving back to the country that made them successful. The turning point was the recognition of corporations under the 14th amendment (originally intended for emancipation of slaves) as individual people. This turned the tides whereas corporations and founders were able to take advantage of all the privledges of incorporation yet not be held liable as citizens. I am not an attorney but this demonstrates the highest possible reason and initial proliferation of where we are today. There are movements to address this amendment and rectify this "misunderstanding", however, not many people are aware of it. Is anyone involved in this?

deb52_2
9/8/2010 4:14:54 PM
the wealthy got that way because they work hard or hardly work as the case may be. the infrastructure that we all use to get to work, to open a business or expand that business is payed for by taxes. the more you use it the more you should pay and that is directly proportional to the amount of money that is made. i owned a business in california and one thing i found interesting is that the more out of state sales i made, the less california taxes i had to pay. i say tax the internet!!! a half a sent per dollar of sales and no more income tax!!!!

Occum
9/8/2010 2:03:56 PM
Until recently I lived in the Adirondack State Park in New York. I am very familiar with the dynamics of how the park came to be and how. Names like Vanderbilt, Whitney, Guggenheim and Rockefeller are much a part of the discussion regarding the APA. The Adirondack State Park is unknowingly, to most, the largest state park in the continental United States (6.25 million acres) and heavily protected by regulations so as not to be encroached upon by private builders etc. How does this tie in? Who else would be able to buy, build, protect and write off properties such as the ones in the park. Wealth is not so much about how hard you work but how well you "hide" your money. All sucessful entrepenuers know this fact and will freely admit it if it is not in the context of the dispute of rich vs. poor. Over the past twenty years I have worked for several major corporations and the federal goverment and have seen the dynamic of the interaction between the two. I always think of one of the last scenes from "A Few Good Men" where the two marines are discussing protecting the less fortunate. It makes sense.

rodeen
9/8/2010 11:46:32 AM
Love the name interrobang also I agree that patriots pay taxes and they serve a valuable purpose. I just believe in a flat tax where everyone pays the same and if Govt. can't funcion with say 15% across the board then we need to elect people who can make it work.

interrobang_3
9/8/2010 11:21:59 AM
I believe in taxation with representation. Taxes pay pave our streets, maintain and repair our public infrastructure, provide waste management services, fire and police protection, fund our public schools and libraries and a host of other domestic services. Granted there is plenty of money wasted on unjust war, and military spending, and subsidies for multi-billion dollar corporation to maintain the status quo. Without taxes our country runs the risk of being owned by other countries in the form of government bond sales. Oh, wait, that's why we're essentially owned by the Chinese government. Real patriots pay taxes.

rodeen
9/8/2010 11:19:58 AM
I have an uncle who is a natural gas executive. He is a millionaire. For over 30 years he has busted his tail. I dont want to work less because of what he has done. I want to thank him for providing a valuable service to society. I guess at the end of the day we see the world in a different way. I dont care about the economics behind it. The ultra rich for whatever reason deserve what they got, I dont want it I want them to have it. I want to make my own and give it to whom ever I please. You seem to think because the rich have more invested in our society that they are some how more indebted to the country.

Ralph Marshall
9/8/2010 11:04:17 AM
rodeen Your working two jobs and your wife one does not sound in the least like the taxes described above. Do you eat caviar much? Golf and send your kids to private school? Every economic master since Adam Smith has pointed out that the very wealthy receive much more than they give and consequently should give more than the rest. Tax payer funded infrastructure, privately funded education... Even our very children in the armed forces are in the service of the rich. The political message of the right is for power only, not for economic health or sustainability. In a Democracy power requires votes and votes can be bought. This is a spiritually flawed philosophy. You would have to work less, if we all understood more how we are being played against one another by the cynical and opportunistic power-junky wannabees.

rodeen
9/8/2010 10:14:02 AM
I am not qualified to discuss complicated economic issues and verying factors that go into our National budget I can only tell you what is real to me. I work two jobs and my wife works(I would almost be better off quitting my second job). We do pretty good, but we enjoy vacationing and would like to afford our children a top education. We also donate 12.5% of our income annually on top of what we pay in taxes. SO all this and I still have not started on my retirment. I applaud those of you that work as hard as our household does and want to give more to the govt. to spend on programs you dont believe in what ever they are. But for me, what is real to me is I work hard and I dont want to give another dime of my money to the govt. nor do I care to have my neighbors dime handed over to me.

Pay Now & Save $5!
First Name: *
Last Name: *
Address: *
City: *
State/Province: *
Zip/Postal Code:*
Country:
Email:*
(* indicates a required item)
Canadian Subscribers - Click Here
Non US and Canadian Subscribers - Click Here

Want to gain a fresh perspective? Read stories that matter? Feel optimistic about the future? It's all here! Utne Reader offers provocative writing from diverse perspectives, insightful analysis of art and media, down-to-earth news and in-depth coverage of eye-opening issues that affect your life.

Save Even More Money By Paying NOW!

Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. You save an additional $5 and get 4 issues of Utne Reader for only $31.00 (USA only).

Or Bill Me Later and pay just $36 for 4 issues of Utne Reader!